In Person Cognitive Intensive Program
Important Notice: The Arrowsmith school in Toronto has cancelled the in-person Cognitive Intensive Program in 2020.
We look forward to resuming the in-person program as soon as possible.
At-Home Cognitive Intensive Program 2020
Because of continued travel restrictions, facility closures and physical distancing in various jurisdictions, we are offering an at-home delivery model of the Cognitive Intensive Program at Arrowsmith School in Toronto.
For all locations offering this At-Home program in 2020, click here.
What is the Cognitive Intensive Program?
The Cognitive Intensive Program strengthens key learning abilities in 6 weeks. It targets Symbol Relations, a critical function that processes and understands ideas in all aspects of life necessary for understanding and quickly grasping what we read and hear, gaining insight, logical reasoning and cause and effect processing.
Using Arrowsmith’s innovative methodology this program enables participants to rewire their brain — and once rewired, learning becomes easier and more efficient. Learn more about neuroplasticity.
In small class settings with dedicated facilitators, participants spend most of each day working on cognitive exercises. Physical, mindful, and creative activities are also incorporated. As weeks progress, brains change. A new reality can be achieved.
Who Should Participate?
Everyone can benefit from strengthening their Symbol Relations function.
It is for those with learning difficulties or those looking to achieve peak performance – a stronger brain means a better life.
Signs of Weak Symbol Relations functioning
- not understanding what is read or said
- seeing the world as ‘black and white’
- difficulty with math or literary concepts such as fractions, metaphors
- not keeping up with lectures or conversations due to slow processing speed
- difficulty ‘reading between the lines’ or catching jokes or sarcasm
- appearing stubborn or inflexible, unable to consider other points of view
- challenges with fluid reasoning and working memory
- require more time and energy to complete tasks at school or work
- re-reading material several times before grasping the idea
- frequently asking questions for clarification
What are the benefits of taking part in this program?
Having a stronger Symbol Relations ability means a more powerful and positive capacity to understand, participate in and contribute to the world.
Studies show that the Cognitive Intensive Program leads to structural and functional changes in the brain as well as significant improvements on academic and cognitive measures. Participants and their families also report better mental health, emotional resilience, and a more positive self-concept.
Norman Doidge, author of ‘The Brain That Changes Itself’ and ‘The Brain’s Way of Healing’, comments on the benefits of the Symbol Relations program:
“The Symbol Relations functions are ones that can be used to train people with any background language to develop higher order reasoning and processing abilities, a skill that has relevance across all academic disciplines. By virtue of having lived in Toronto, and immersed myself in the school, and referred many students and adults to training in this function, I can attest to how it enhances overall functioning and is a very wise choice for a cognitive function to train. This would have a major impact on improved educational functioning throughout the world.
The fact that they train the brain processors that make possible reasoning and rationality, is arguably one of the most important positive developments one could imagine for our world, with its complex problems.”
Parent’s observations of their children’s transformation after attending the Cognitive Intensive Program in Toronto
- His comprehension/understanding is happening so much faster.
- She ‘gets’ math now and can show her understanding and reasoning behind answers.
- She now enjoys reading as she understands what she reads.
- The questions he asks are more pertinent to the topic and demonstrate better understanding of the situation.
- She now understands concepts in class and can defend her position and rarely backs down now from a discussion. That is powerful!
- After CIP, my child was more aware of his emotions during social situations; was better able to connect his emotions to things happening around him socially; and then could better express his feelings AND communicate how his emotions were connected to social situations. This was huge!
- We see less anger and frustration and a greater willingness to listen and to work to grasp another perspective.
- We have seen changes in her speech, her reading comprehension, her understanding of new concepts, her social confidence, even her sporting ability.
- Family and friends with whom she has interacted have commented that she is now very aware and her speech is very fluid, saying exactly what she wants to say and things that are on point.
When Will This Take Place?
To be Determined
Arrowsmith School Toronto
Monday – Friday
9am – 3pm
Structure of the day:
3 to 4.5 hours of cognitive training daily depending on student age, plus physical and mindfulness activities.