Thank you for your interest in working at Arrowsmith School in Toronto or Peterborough. We are always interested in submissions from exceptional applicants who would enjoy contributing to our community of faculty, students and staff. Please explore our website to learn more about our school.
Arrowsmith School Peterborough has a 5 month maternity leave position for an Academic Teacher.
Arrowsmith School Peterborough is a privately owned co-educational and non-denominational day school that is dedicated to helping students with learning disabilities. It is one of the principle sites of the Arrowsmith Program, a unique methodology currently offered in over 110 schools internationally. The Arrowsmith Program is based on the application of neuroscience research and the premise that it is possible to address a range of learning disabilities by identifying and strengthening cognitive capacities.
An Academic Classroom Teacher at Arrowsmith School is responsible for providing and teaching a curriculum in the subject areas of Math and Language in line with Ministry of Education Guidelines that is suited to the learning needs of the individual student. Students are grouped according to their ability. An Academic Teacher provides a positive classroom environment and guides, supports and encourages all students recognizing that students are working toward a common goal of increasing their learning capacities in that academic area.
The Academic Teacher tracks and analyses student progress and adjusts their learning program accordingly. Progress is communicated to students and parents regularly through informal and formal meetings and formal reports.
Education and Professional Requirements
- Post-Secondary education in the field of education, social services, psychology and professional background involving work with children
- Evidence of ongoing professional development in the field
- Ontario Teacher Certification or Equivalent
- Five (5) years classroom experience in a public or private school
- Working with children with learning disabilities or special needs
An understanding of the field of neuroscience and the principles of neuroplasticity is an advantage.
We are looking for a professional, self-motivated team member who promotes a positive work environment. Interested candidates must have:
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong organizational skills
- Willingness to work as a team teacher, in collaboration with the Cognitive Classroom Teachers
- Willingness to share ideas and exchange information appropriately with other Arrowsmith Staff
- Energetic and self-directed
- Good memory for details
- Willingness to help promote student independence and appropriate peer interactions
- Patience in teaching individuals who have difficulty learning new concepts
- Ability to keep daily records of student progress
- Ability to keep students and parents informed about progress
- Appreciation of the difference the Arrowsmith Program can make in people’s lives
- Proficiency with online collaborative tools
Arrowsmith Program Background
Since 1978 the Arrowsmith Program has been helping students with their capacity to learn through a series of programs that target and strengthen specific cognitive functions; it is based on the application of neuroscience research. The premise of Arrowsmith Program’s work is that it is possible to address a range of learning disabilities by identifying and strengthening cognitive capacities. The Arrowsmith Program is implemented at the Arrowsmith Schools in Toronto and Peterborough as well as educational organizations in Canada, the USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Malaysia, Thailand and Spain.
We recommend that candidates familiarize themselves with the description of Arrowsmith School and the Arrowsmith Program on website www.arrowsmithschool.org including viewing the introductory video and reading the sections on Learning Dysfunctions and Methodology.
Please submit your resume and references by email to ac.ma1568838805rgorp1568838805htims1568838805worra1568838805@looh1568838805cShti1568838805mswor1568838805rAP1568838805 We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.