Arrowsmith School Toronto
The At-Home Cognitive Intensive Program – delivered online
Build a stronger brain, create a new reality and transform your future
This offering is available during the 2020 year in response to the current restrictions on travel and social gatherings. Once restrictions are lifted the Cognitive Intensive Program will also be delivered in-person at Arrowsmith School, Toronto. Once we have a date, we will post this on our website.
What is the At-Home Cognitive Intensive Program?
The At-Home Cognitive Intensive Program offers participants the opportunity to strengthen their brains at home online while working with a trained facilitator. Symbol Relations is targeted: a critical cognitive function across all aspects of learning and life and fundamental to our understanding, logical reasoning and processing speed.
This unique program involves 90 to 135 hours of online cognitive exercises to be completed over the course of 8 to 10 weeks. Each educational organization offering this program will determine program length. Participants are supported by a dedicated Arrowsmith trained facilitator who will create a positive learning experience contributing to powerful cognitive improvements.
Who Should Participate?
Everyone can benefit from strengthening their Symbol Relations function. It is for those with learning difficulties or those looking to achieve peak performance – a stronger brain means a better life.
Signs of a weak Symbol Relations Function
Signs of weak Symbol Relations functioning include:
- not understanding what is read or said
- seeing the world as ‘black and white’
- difficulty with math or literary concepts such as fractions, metaphors
- not keeping up with lectures or conversations due to slow processing speed
- difficulty ‘reading between the lines’ or catching jokes or sarcasm
- appearing stubborn or inflexible, unable to consider other points of view
- challenges with fluid reasoning and working memory
- requires more time and energy to complete tasks at school or work
- re-reading material several times before grasping the idea
- frequently asking questions for clarification
What are the benefits of taking part in this program?
Having a stronger Symbol Relations ability means a more powerful and positive capacity to understand, participate in and contribute to the world.
Studies show that the Cognitive Intensive Program leads to structural and functional changes in the brain as well as significant improvements in academic and cognitive measures. Significant improvements were measured in comprehension, mathematics, vocabulary, processing speed, attention, cognitive efficiency, reasoning, and working memory. Participants and their families also report better mental health, emotional resilience, and a more positive self-concept.
Dr. Greg Rose from Southern Illinois University presented his research at the Society for Neuroscience conference in October 2019 which showed significant changes in the brain as well as “real-world consequences” seen in students after just 6 weeks of the Cognitive Intensive Program. View Research
Cognitive Enhancement Program – What Parents and Students say
Enquire about the At-Home Cognitive Intensive Program
Norman Doidge, author of ‘The Brain That Changes Itself’ and ‘The Brain’s Way of Healing’ comments on the benefits of the Symbol Relations Program
“The Symbol Relations functions are ones that can be used to train people with any background language to develop higher order reasoning and processing abilities, a skill that has relevance across all academic disciplines. By virtue of having lived in Toronto, and immersed myself in the school, and referred many students and adults to training in this function, I can attest to how it enhances overall functioning and is a very wise choice for a cognitive function to train. This would have a major impact on improved educational functioning throughout the world.
The fact that they train the brain processors that make possible reasoning and rationality, is arguably one of the most important positive developments one could imagine for our world, with its complex problems.”
Parent’s observations of their children’s transformation after attending the Cognitive Intensive Program in Toronto
- His comprehension/understanding is happening so much faster.
- She ‘gets’ math now and can show her understanding and reasoning behind answers.
- She now enjoys reading as she understands what she reads.
- The questions he asks are more pertinent to the topic and demonstrate better understanding of the situation.
- She now understands concepts in class and can defend her position and rarely backs down now from a discussion. That is powerful!
- After CIP, my child was more aware of his emotions during social situations; was better able to connect his emotions to things happening around him socially; and then could better express his feelings AND communicate how his emotions were connected to social situations. This was huge!
- We see less anger and frustration and a greater willingness to listen and to work to grasp another perspective.
- We have seen changes in her speech, her reading comprehension, her understanding of new concepts, her social confidence, even her sporting ability.
- Family and friends with whom she has interacted have commented that she is now very aware and her speech is very fluid, saying exactly what she wants to say and things that are on point.